Prevent Road Side Trauma
Prevention is better than Cure. We all are well versed with this age-old saying but do we abide by it? No, many do not! Our careless attitude, fast-paced life and increasing craze for mobile phones have led to increasing cases of road accidents. It’s appalling to see the damage these careless road accidents cause to the health, environment, and roadways. If you go by the facts, you will be amazed to see that nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes almost every year and more than half deaths occur among young adults. Sad, right?
One should learn to value this precious life. Little efforts in changing our lifestyle can take us a long way. Preventing these accidents is easy when one knows what to do and what to avoid especially. So here’s a guide to help you avoid an accident.
1. Follow the Traffic Lights: this might be the most basic step one can follow but we all fail at it? If everybody on the road starts following the traffic lights, half the accidents will reduce automatically. Do not try to speed through a yellow light, it is an indicator for you to slow down and stop and not rush instead.
2. Pull into Traffic Carefully: while pulling into a busy intersection, one should use rear view mirrors throughout before proceeding. Speeding vehicles can appear from almost anywhere so watch out for them.
3. Drunk Driving is Illegal: a drink or a joint can hardly cause any harm? That’s the attitude which leads to our doom. Driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal and prohibited and one should obey with this rule. Even a single drink can impair our senses of judgment. Do not let alcohol cost you your life!
4. Practice for Extreme Weather Conditions: Driving on a slippery road or in a bad weather unsupervised can be dangerous for beginners. Be slow and careful during such situations
5. Say No to Cell Phones: talking on cell phones while driving constitutes for the majority of accidents. When somebody needs to use cell phone urgently, pull over and then use.
6. Try Not to Tailgate: driving too closely behind another vehicle increases the chances of chain accidents. One should leave enough space between two cars on the road.
7. Slow & Steady wins the race: do not rush through your life on the road. Follow the speed limit and try not to over speed. Keep enough time in hand to avoid rushing through. Leave sooner, drive slower, and live longer!
8. Wear Safety Belts: according to research, people who wear seat belts are 44% more likely to survive in a crash. This safety device plays a very important role while driving which can’t be overlooked.
No one owns the road so treating it with respect is our responsibility. One should follow these steps to avoid road accidents. However, if you know anybody who’s had a road accident and need immediate care, they can visit the emergency centre of PSRI http://www.psrihospital.com/emergency. Their experienced and competent emergency physicians are available 24/7 for patient care. Do not take these accidents lightly, they can cost you your life. Stop accidents, before they stop you!