Eat your way to a healthy heart
It is a surprising fact that one third of the deaths in the world are due to heart diseases, which clearly indicates that you are not taking care of the heart with all their heart. A few things that you can do to keep your heart healthy is to conduct a regular check up with your doctor, avoid smoking, eat a healthy diet, exercise and lead a stress-free life.
Below are 7 foods that you should incorporate in your diet for a healthy heart:
1. Berries: Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries are extremely rich in anti-oxidants which reduce stress and inflammation which is a major cause of heart disease. Berries are also a very good source of iron, fibre, folate, Vitamin A, calcium and Vitamin C.
2. Nuts: The family of nuts contain almonds, peanuts, walnuts, cashew nuts, pistachios and hazelnuts. These nuts are full of protein, vitamins, minerals, fibres, magnesium and anti-oxidants, which are extremely beneficial to your heart health. Studies have shown that walnuts help reduce blood pressure and cholesterol to promote a healthy heart.
3. Tomatoes: These little red fruits are packed with potassium, fibre, folate, Vitamin C and choline, all of which are very good for the health of your heart. Tomatoes are also loaded with antioxidants and lycopene which have been associated with a low risk of heart disease.
4. Leafy Green Vegetables: Spinach, kale, cabbage and other leafy green vegetables are very rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are also known to be a great source of Vitamin K, which protects your arteries and promotes proper clotting of blood.
Adding spinach to your diet will help you improve the rhythm of your heart. Spinach is also one of the best sources of magnesium.
5 Avocado: Avocados contain healthy monosaturated fats, which helps in lowering levels of bad cholesterol, thus protecting your heart from diseases. Potassium, which is found in avocados help lower blood pressure and risk of metabolic syndrome.
6 Seeds: Flax seeds, chia seeds and hemp seeds contain fibre and omega 3 fatty acids, which are great sources of healthy heart nutrients. Adding seeds to your daily diet helps reduce inflammation, cholesterol and blood pressure, keeping your heart healthy.
7. Broccoli: Eating steamed broccoli everyday can prevent heart diseases by reducing bad cholesterol levels.
Make sure that you incorporate these 7 foods in your diet to keep your heart healthy. If you want to consult our highly specialized cardiologist Dr. T.S. Kler and his team for any heart related queries, feel free to contact us at PSRI Hospitals ( http://www.psrihospital.com/speciality-detail/cardiology ).